Should society encourage a college/university education?

jy76

In my opinion, a higher education is always worth it, but maybe not for jobs.  For instance, if a plumber wants to study nuclear physics or art, then have at it.  However, though, the keyword here is maybe, and it's not always as obvious as it seems.  For instance, yes, the job market will be open to a math or nursing major.   However, though, a history major might still be able to put his knowledge to good use, even without traditional employment.   In fact, the world of blogging could be a window to making a lot of money.  I mean, look at all the political junkies out there.

Edited by jy76

• 2 years later...

I'm all for trade schools!! But I'm also for people going into medical fields getting as much education as they can. 

My daughter went to college and then was told she needed to go get her masters if she wanted a job in her field. So why spend thousands of dollars on an education that gets you nowhere and you're told to spend more money? 

She has since done an internship without pay in a field unrelated to her two college degrees and got a good job in that field after finishing the internship. Sometimes getting a job is about who you know and people in the area know the guy who leads the internships and trust that he trains people properly.

• 3 weeks later...

It always depends on the person really. People learn differently and sometimes a university environment isn't going to help them. University can help some people whilst other options like internships or just going into the job market right away can be even better for some.

spacer.png

Community college is better. Yes, I said it .Ivy league colleges are great, when you have rich parents with savings, but no matter what field you choose, it would never quite be worth the money you paid in tuition. You would spend your whole life thinking: "I could have just went to a trade school, or took Community college certs and got the same job, and saved $40,000 in student loans!"

Community colleges are more career-focused, which is the only thing that will ever really matter in a real-world education. Forget everything you've heard about having a fancy name on your degree, because you are not guaranteed a job just because your degree says Yale on it. Take it from someone who's worked as a hiring manager: We don't give a **** about the brand on your degree. We only care about whether or not you can do the job, and show up on time, and your degree tells us none of that.

Unless you're 100% guaranteed employment, and work in a STEM field, NEVER go for a master's. You will likely waste a third of your life being rejected for jobs you need because you're "overqualified" for the position. Most jobs have onsite training, and don't want to hire someone past a bachelor's, because they think they'll have to deal with a self-righteous know-it-all in the workplace.

• 1 year later...

I think college is over-rated nowadays. Just like school. We learned so much that we would never apply in the real world. Now, if say, you wanted to advance in your current job or try out for another one, & they require you to have a certain knowledge like mathematics, then you take the course. However, to take the course without having a job you could apply it to & where you'd forget the majority of it, unless you had a knack for it, would be moot. 

• 2 years later...

It amazes me how much you can learn online.  Right now I am studying a lot of math and might start getting into computer programming.   Anyway, of course, there are tons of YouTube videos to show you how to do stuff. 

There's no way I wouldn't see education as something that's very important and a must have for everyone but it shouldn't be compulsory. When you can't afford it, don't put yourself in debt to do so. 

A lot is happening recently that those that went to school are now being put in a position where they find it difficult to get jobs here. So, others are not seeing the need to get that certificate as well. Assuming these changes in terms of being educated, then a lot of people will have no reason why they shouldn't go to school. 

On 9/29/2023 at 3:56 AM, Henrywrites said:

A lot is happening recently that those that went to school are now being put in a position where they find it difficult to get jobs here. So, others are not seeing the need to get that certificate as well. Assuming these changes in terms of being educated, then a lot of people will have no reason why they shouldn't go to school. 

Well, even with the whole high rate of unemployment that's going on for years, it's not a good decision for someone to use as a result of that to say no to education. There's always going to an opportunity for one who went to school.