Dishwasher vs. Hand Washing

Okay, guys.
So I posted a facebook status the other day about my Dishwasher, and recieved some feedback about how I was 'gioven two hands for a reason' and implying that using a dishwasher is lazy.
I didn't install the dishwasher, the house came with it and it's the first time in my adult life I've lived in a house with one.

I definitely see the benefits of a dishwasher, though. They are more economical, they save time, they save water (and are thus more environmentally friendly.)
Before I had one, I really thought I didn't need one. Now that I do though, I think I'd struggle to keep the dishes at bay without them (we used to have a bit of a problem with them piling up in the sik, in our previous homes.)

So I guess I put it to you, what do you prefer?
Is one definitely better than the other?
Did my friend have a point? (Not that it's likely to affect my choices...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I use the dishwasher. It's way faster that way and you can wash more dishes at the same time especially when you have a lot of people over for dinner.

I still do handwashing the dishes sometimes though.

I don't have the privilege of having a dishwasher. My dad won't buy one and there's no place in my kitchen for one. I grew up handwashing my dishes and since I'm the only one in my house who actually cleans, I'm the one who has to do it since it's just me and my dad.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a dishwasher, because it's quicker and a lot easier.  Handwashing can be annoying at times when you have had a hard day at work.  I love the dishwasher, I got one for £60 I don't know if that's good for a brand new dishwasher.  It saves me a lot of time of doing it.  I used to do the washing up all of the time before I got a dishwasher.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say doing a combination of the two will give you’re the best results as both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dishwashing is really good at getting rid of bacteria but is dreadful for removing stuck on food.

Hand washing is really good at removing stuck on food but is not very good at removing bacteria, due to cleaning things being used for multiple dishes.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/3/2020 at 4:47 AM, Lord Chief said:

Both options we have, No point doing the dishwasher for two items

another reason for hand washing, so much cheaper on the water bill and the soap bill.

• Management Team
2 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

another reason for hand washing, so much cheaper on the water bill and the soap bill.

Well, Water in my household is set price. We pay the same amount each time and we can use as much water as we want :) But end of the day it saves soup and powering up the dishwasher. Electric bills are the most expensive, even more then gas 

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

22 hours ago, Lord Chief said:

Well, Water in my household is set price. We pay the same amount each time and we can use as much water as we want :) But end of the day it saves soup and powering up the dishwasher. Electric bills are the most expensive, even more then gas 

Oh nice, though how is it a set price? Some contract with the landlord?

• Management Team

Nope, no landlord. Own the house outright :) It's not like we are on a meter 

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 1 year later...

I prefer handwashing. I'm into eco living & am quite adept at being able to use minimal water when washing. Years of camping when I was younger helped ingrain that within me lol Plus we tend to wash as we go. Don't fill the sink with soapy water. As soon as we are done eating, the dishes get washed. Rarely do we have to soak anything. I also use Castile soap which cleans good but doesn't have the bubbles so you find you use less soap & water that way. 

• 1 month later...

Coincidentally, my dishwasher's motor has gone out and the couple of hundred dollars it would cost to get it replaced has us debating whether we should get it fixed or just put the money towards a new dishwasher. We still haven't decided so we've been handwashing for several weeks now. I don't mind it so much as long as we stay on top of the dishes. It only ends up feeling like a real chore whenever we have people over and the dishes pile up. 

• 3 months later...

I don't have a lot of dishes.  In that case, a dishwasher is a waste of time.  Well, funny enough, I was doing a job at my mom's house and my brother wanted me to use a dishwasher when she only had a few dishes and a small dishwasher.   It was just a waste of time!

Well, I don't know if it's a waste of time, but it just seems silly or lazy.