Should Alcohol be Illegal?

I personally think it should. Nothing really good comes from drinking alcohol. It mainly causes damage to the consumer and to the people around them. Just in the US an estimated 88.000 deaths were caused by alcohol consumption, which was the third leading preventable death in the United State, according to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Not only were the death that high but also the negative impact alcohol had on the economy of the United States. In 2006 alcohol misuse costed the US $223.5 billion. 

I'm not saying making alcohol illegal will solve all of this but atleast it's a step in the right direction. People will still purchase it on the "black market" however it will be harder to obtain which would ultimately lead to less death and a smaller impact on the economy of the United States.

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Alcohol shouldn't be illegal and neither should most drugs. Prohibiting substances does absolutely nothing but increase their use. We can learn from alcohol prohibition and marijuana prohibition. While I do agree that alcohol is horrible for your body, mind, and personal life, it's an individuals choice what to put in their body. It's also an option of the ones who care about that person to get them help if they have an addiction problem.

On 2/23/2016 at 1:24 AM, Empire said:

I don't agreed to most of this, I don't even drink Alcohol.

I agree, I don't drink Alcohol either. I think the laws are fine how they are now.

Kind Regards,

RayDaBeast

Community Guidelines | Home Page | Forums

• 4 weeks later...

It was already banned and look how far that went. :P

Alcohol, while dangerous in the hands of idiots, shouldn't be banned more than guns and computers are. While most want drunk driving ended, banning alcohol won't do anything. People will just want it more and it will become a black market item that's going to be smuggled into the country. A world without alcohol is a world filled with chaos. :P

• 11 months later...

Look what happened in the US in the 30s with moonshine and other things like that. No it shouldn't be banned because we like to have a drink at Christmas and on our Birthdays. I don't drink, I only drink alcohol about twice a year. I know it puts you in bad shape, but we can all control it.  To the op, do you want smoking banned too because that can cause lung cancer? Why are you so concerned?  It's usually people's fault.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't think it should be illegal. People enjoy drinking alcohol, myself included. It's not like it directly kills a lot of people. It should be a choice like cigarettes. 

spacer.png

I think it should, as should cigarettes, pot, and things like mushrooms and LSD.

But, I think all of those should require a license to purchase.  Those who wish to quit should be able to cancel their own license to buy it. That way, if you have addiction issues and you are rational enough to be able to know what is best for you, you won't be able to just go down to the corner store and buy it because of a craving.

I understand that some will see this as a "nanny state" thing, but I think addiction (including alcoholism) ruins a lot of lives, and a slight inconvenience for those who don't have problems, could massively help a lot of people who do.

• 5 months later...

The US tried to ban booze in the early 1900s but it became a laughingstock!  Also, as with the current War on Drugs, it became a waste of money and a fuel for violence and  corruption.  Anyway, if they truly wanted to make it or drugs illegal, they'd have to institute very harsh methods, and most Americans wouldn't be in favor - especially for alcohol!

• 7 months later...

I'm against it being made illegal, here in the UK. Myself included, people enjoy drinking and being sociable.    Just like anything, it's fine as it's not used excessively and you have to learn how to deal with an addiction. Prevention is better than cure. 

Untitled.jpg.84c10253d91a4492d3b4b6b8ff6ba468.jpg

• 3 years later...

A lot of countries associate manliness with drinking.  In that case, I doubt if prohibition would be popular.  Anyway, no doubt alcohol fuels violence and car wrecks, I'm not sure which one is first.

What's the solution?  Well, there should be an cheap public transportation for people who drink.  A lot of areas like my rural one in Tennessee, USA don't have that.

• 4 months later...

I personally do not believe alcohol or any drugs should be illegal. Laws do not work at stopping addicts from feeding their addictions. Better to focus on education at an early age than try to retro actively deal with the problem.

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:20 AM, Demon_skeith said:

Its already been made illegal once and everyone rebelled against it till it was legalized again. alcohol is just one of those things that will be around forever like tobacco.

I'm among the people that's going to die if they decide to ban alcohol for life 😂. There's no way I would be able to survive it. After money, alcohol is the next in line of what I consume that makes me feel very good. Some might say that I'm addicted to it but I don't care about that as long as I don't abuse. 

I bought a honey liquor called KRUPNIKAS yesterday and it taste so good like American Honey. 

Screenshot_20230131_130252_WhatsAppBusiness.thumb.jpg.d74e55890e15110340f0ab4fb263a91f.jpg

A lot of people are going to rebel against alcohol being made illegal. I mean this is going to cause a lot of unrest in the land. I don't drink much, but I know people will definitely rebel against such behavior.