Question from a PC gamer.

As a PC gamer, starting to get more into console games how important is it to have the latest system.  I understand that the system is better and eventually I am going to have to buy the new system but how long can I get away with using the older system.  How long until the online portion of the games I play are completely dead?

• Management Team

All things have to come to an end, for Computers and console do get old and slower no matter what after 5 years of being used it gets old like an 90 year old person. it comes down to how meany people are on the server. You just have to accept that they will shut it down.

maybe! seems not if people are so willing that they can build there own gaming server. Like BF2. EA shut down the game sever back in August 2014 and so players like myself are still lucky that there are people out there spent time and money building there own gaming server for people to keep on playing

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Online only lasts depending on the user base but eventually if that number drops below a certain amount the servers will be shut down. I know like ten years from now no one will be able to officially play Destiny.

• Management Team

@Demon_skeith Very true in indeed. same may differ. like Halo one for an example, Very old game and the servers are still running today as I speak. You will find that you still can play online with outer people like BF2. BF@ servers shutdown back in 2014 and so a group of gamer and devs build there own network so that players to keep on playing BF2 online  

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016 at 11:26 PM, Empire said:

@Demon_skeith Very true in indeed. same may differ. like Halo one for an example, Very old game and the servers are still running today as I speak. You will find that you still can play online with outer people like BF2. BF@ servers shutdown back in 2014 and so a group of gamer and devs build there own network so that players to keep on playing BF2 online  

I've never looked into self gamer hosted servers, but I can't imagine that is cheap to do?

• Management Team
14 minutes ago, Demon_skeith said:

I've never looked into self gamer hosted servers, but I can't imagine that is cheap to do?

It is costly, Yet Truckersmp.com got allot running and it's free for us to join any server. Yet again people don't hire they build there own system from home

baysidegamersx468x60.gif

23 hours ago, Empire said:

It is costly, Yet Truckersmp.com got allot running and it's free for us to join any server. Yet again people don't hire they build there own system from home

I knew someone who built their own sever, but that was years ago. Only when I started to go into self hosting for websites did I realize the full cost of owning one.

I've run a couple of dedicated servers for gaming, its definitely expensive, but for me it was definitely worth it, the feeling you have when people are enjoying them selves on your server and are making friendships that could last a lifetime is very unique. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I wouldn't buy the newest console until there's a specific game for it that piques your interest. For example, an Xbone exclusive game will not work on a 360. And a PS4 Game will not work on a PS3. Now with Sony, this problem is compounded further, because it does not have backwards compatibility. So a PS3 game also will not work in a PS4.

So eventually, whenever there's a game you want, you're gonna need that specific machine.

As for just online play - I wouldn't worry too much - as others have said, as long as it's a popular game the servers will remain up.

• 4 months later...
On 8/16/2016 at 11:11 PM, Claraviolet said:

Well, it depends. There is no exact time duration for anything. May be 1 year or 10 years. It depends on the popularity and requirements.

Mostly depends on if the company is making any money off the server.

8 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

Mostly depends on if the company is making any money off the server.

That's true too. Not many people who give things sufficient amount of time, before looking for profits and such