What is your favourite free forum host?

My favourite free forum software would be phpBB. I have been using a free forum host called prophpBB for over 2 years now. prophpBB have a support forum where you can request support if you need it and they usually reply within 24 hours. They provide me help and support when I have issues with my forum. When you register a forum, prophpBB doesn't fill your website with advertising. They hardly put adverts on your forum. It's a good free forum host and I would recommend it if you are looking to start a new website.

Edited by xXInfectedXx

Untitled.jpg.84c10253d91a4492d3b4b6b8ff6ba468.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use free forum hosts.   Nonetheless, if I did, then I'd choose some post-4-vps scheme. Well, technically, though, it isn't free.  You have to post for it.  However, the posting seems very easy and usually, the count isn't over 50.

• 3 months later...

For me, it's ZetaBoards. They are highly customize-able for a free platform.  I would still be hosting my forums on a commercial platform, but real life issues and some financial issues caused me to go to a free solution and after some bad luck with webhosting, I decided ZetaBoards was the right fit for my forums so we've settled down on there. :)

smokeysig.png revad1.png

I haven't used a free forum script since like 2002. lol  Back then it was phpBB, which was pretty much the standard.

[SIZE=4][URL='https://session9.net']Session 9 Asylum[/URL] ~ Reality is only perception, but how do you know what you perceive is real?[/SIZE]
[COLOR=rgb(44, 130, 201)][SIZE=4]~PM me for an invite code~[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 months later...

I'd say ZetaBoards for a free forum host. :) Me and Smokey were using them for a few months but then he decided he was just letting his Xenforo license rot and waste so we revamped on Xenforo, however, ZetaBoards was great, snappy and very easy to use and the themes were quite nice and well made. :)

• Management Team

Free forums are good for starting out small and grow and most free boards do offer allot of options and if they don't offer it then there are plugins to download and install as an third party. I sometimes see that an free forum may offer something that paid doesn't, yet keep in mind that most free board software runs on donations and support is slow.

I started off with SMF for six months before I moved to IPB and as an starting, I like it and I like some cool options like join the website to see links. However bad side that support was crap and slow and most of the time when I needed help it was from other members then the support team. Also there patches are never updated, taken 2 years to see one patch and so for security is higher then IPB. Results that it got poor even the theme that I used with bad results that made it slow or bad ranking. It's like anything from free to paid there is an good side and bad side but end of the day I been using IPB for two years and still love i

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

I cannot really say what I think is the best.  In my view, they all work for me (other than Vanilla Forums which has a weird layout).  In fact, I think the main thing causing problems for people is lack of updating and their chosen hosting plan.  In other words, it's not the poor software's fault.:)    However, though, I have seen really bad problems with the paragraph spacing and editing features of some free forum software, but again (sort of), I think the source is lack of updating.

Edited by jy76

• 1 month later...

Slightly confused. Do you mean free forum hosts or free forum software? Might want to change that title because free forum hosts would be like icyboards which host myBB boards for free.

spacer.png

• Management Team
2 hours ago, kingcool52 said:

Slightly confused. Do you mean free forum hosts or free forum software? Might want to change that title because free forum hosts would be like icyboards which host myBB boards for free.

title says free forum hosts.. Some member's got confused also from the posts above 

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

Aah.

For me, my favourite free forum host would have to be icyboards. They offer quite a lot of themes and plugins for free for your myBB forum. The only other free forum host I have used is forumotion and I just think they are a bit outdated nowadays.

spacer.png

• 6 months later...

phpBB is pretty good, but still not as nice as a paid system....

Edited by zoldos

[SIZE=4][URL='https://session9.net']Session 9 Asylum[/URL] ~ Reality is only perception, but how do you know what you perceive is real?[/SIZE]

Oh, I see what you're talking about now.  Well, I'd have to leave IcyBoards out cause when dealing with MyBB, I'd rather have full control.  Nonetheless, I'm not really sure how many mods they allow you to put on it.

OK, in regards to the others, I can't see much a difference in ProBoards and ZetaBoards to be honest.

• 3 years later...

For my current forum & the one I had some 15 years ago, I went to Proboards. What I like about it is it's for people who don't have experience with coding. I know some people don't care for these because you do become limited. There's also nothing like owning your own forum. I'm actually used to Proboards, the style, features, but I do have it in the back of my mind, if my forum expanded, to own my own. Only problem with that, Proboards doesn't allow you to move over to another platform so anybody who wants a change, would have to start over from scratch. Hopefully they'll change that rule. For other free platforms, here's a question: Do they allow you to move over? 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:54 PM, DudeThatsErin said:

I don't like free forum hosts, myself. I prefer to use my own forum on my own hosting so I have control over everything.

Yes agreed.