Worth paying for?

Do you think Nintendo's online service for the Switch will be worth paying a subscription for?  What would you like to see them offer for the asking price of a subscription to give them a little bit of an edge over Microsoft or Sony? :) 

Personally, I think a couple free retro virtual console titles each month would be nice, maybe some free DLC pieces too. That's something neither Sony or Microsoft really do, they give games yes, but they don't really give away free DLC or anything like that each  month. I think that'd be great......

smokeysig.png revad1.png

• 1 year later...

Now that the Nintendo online service has been out for almost a year and nothing much has changed I must say that it is quite disappointing. I've seen more disconnections with my friends now that we are paying than before. The cloud system is a neat idea but it is very limited as games like Splatoon 2 don't have that option.

The price might be cheap and for some getting NES titles every month might be neat, but I also think that's poorly implemented. The console doesn't have much memory so if they are planning to bring more recent emulators I want to be in charge to choose what gets downloaded in my console, rather than having them downloading the games whether I like them or not as part of the application.

I tried to play NES Online with a friend with the US. We did all we could to optimize our internet. We made sure to have ethernet cable directly on the switch, that our connection NAT was A (open) and that our speed was pretty good. Yet, because it is a direct connection without servers, our latency screwed us over to the point of making it unplayable, a pretty frustrating experience. That I am paying for a service and I can't even enjoy the highlight of it which is playing 8bit games online is pretty crappy. I am honestly appalled by the service.

So it honestly feels right now like a glorified paywall, where that money is earned is not used at all to implement servers or make the service better. It will require that people en masse don't renew the service in July because otherwise, they won't rethink things. I was lucky a friend is paying for my service but they feel the same way and I am pretty much egging them to not renew it if they don't like it.

• 1 year later...