Steam Deck for a PC Gamer?

Smokey

Even if you're not into handhelds. Do you feel owning a Steam Deck is a good idea as a companion to your PC?  I think so, and I would love to get one in the future for  myself for hwne i'm out and about, as my laptop being my main driver, I don't take it anywhere with me, in fear of losing it, it being stolen, etc.  While I certainly wouldn't want to lose or have a steam deck stolen, it's less of a blow if that were to happen vs my entire PC. 

What do you think of the Steam Deck?  Are you gonna be picking one up? or are you looking at other alternatives?

smokeysig.png revad1.png

I have never used Steam Deck, therefore, I cannot say anything about this handheld gaming computer, however, I sometimes use gaming controllers while playing games on my computer because of the accuracy of the controllers, however, there is limitations in using controllers.

• 2 months later...
  • Management Team

It seems like most of the commenters here are failing to realize that the Steam Deck is also a PC, and you really can do anything you would want to do with a pc, bar stuff like replacing like GPU/CPU. You can install Windows if you need a certain game compatible, you can connect a mouse/keyboard for games you might prefer, and you can display out to a monitor or tv. Steam Deck also has incredible controls (the trackpads are so great and can't really be found outside the deck, you get the rear buttons that often are only on premium controllers, and you also have full gyro and touch screen). The audio is also impressive, the comfort is good, and the screen is serviceable. And, of course, it's portable, which is honestly been great for me. I've played it more than my gaming pc even when in my own house now.

All of that said, a gaming pc certainly wouldn't be a bad option either. You'd probably be able to get a bit more performance (not the light years at a similar price that another commenter was saying though). I would definitely recommend building your own pc though, it's not that hard, but if you're hard against that, I probably wouldn't recommend a gaming pc for that price unless you want to play lightweight titles nearly exclusively. Also keep in mind that you need to buy kb/m, monitor, and likely audio devices as well if you don't already have them to really use your pc. A gaming PC would also have the advantages of being easily upgraded in the future as you like and more easily be used for non-gaming tasks (again you can do it on a steam deck, the pc just naturally lends itself to it a bit more).

All in all, it's up to you, but I'd probably lean towards the deck, especially if you want the portability or don't have accessories. I would however say that if you're considering getting the deck still that you should put in a reservation for the steam deck. it costs $5 to reserve your place in line and it's refunded to you if you decide not to get the deck (though it will be applied to your steam wallet if you cancel after 30 days, which means the $5 could only be used to buy games).

As a few final notes, if you already own a pc or laptop of any type, you could try some gaming (especially light) on it. You might be surprised by what you can get out of it. Also buying games themselves on PC is generally quite significantly cheaper than on consoles. Steam sales are famous, but they're really the tip of the iceberg. Official key retailers/bundlers like Humble and Fanatical are big for making the price of getting tons of interesting/great games quite cheap.

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 5 months later...

I would love to own a Steam Deck at this point since my gaming laptop died on me. I have multitudes of games on Steam that would be fun to play on the Steam Deck. I don't feel like I would necessarily need a gaming laptop if I had a Steam Deck. Granted, it has higher capabilities, but just a handful of games I like would keep me entertained most likely.