Dying in war = hero?

• Management Team

Social conditioning instils the idea that those who die in war are heroes.. to convince other people to join in the fight for glory and country.. At one point in time, it actually did use to mean something, and in some countries it still does: such as those fighting for autonomy or for freedom from institutionalized slavery.. now it's just propaganda to convince stupid people into throwing themselves on the line for profit-driven globalization and endless wars for the sake of nothing more than money.

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

Not to disrespect the dead but I don't really think so (but it also depends on the circumstance and what they were fighting for). There has been many battles our country has fought that I disagreed with in the first place. We go sticking our nose in the rest of the world's business and getting our people killed for no good reason. Think of all the families that would still be whole if we didn't send our troops to go fight over some dumb political reason or just because the president at the time felt like flexing his muscles.

I believe all soldiers who die in battle should be honored as a combat veteran killed in action, but I do not necessarily consider that to be a "hero".  Getting killed in combat and dying as a hero should be reserved for those that actually do the actions of a hero and lose their life saving others or performing other heroic actions.

Now to turn back to dying as a combat veteran, I do not take it lightly by any means and truly believe it should be considered an honorable and respected death in the service of your nation and it's people.  But it is hard for me to place that into a single word.

Uncrowned Gaming
A Community Platform for Gamers and Esports
Shooters | MilSim | Tactical

🔗UncrownedGaming.com

• 2 months later...

As a combat veteran who has lost some good friends in conflict. I can assure each and every one of you that they are heroes each and every one of them! End of story.

• 3 months later...

I definitely believe that anyone who dies in the line of duty is a hero. They fought to help keep our country free and safe from terrorists, they risked their lives for us. I have cousins who served and I thank them all the time for serving. I have coworkers who served as well and I thank them as well.

Define "hero"? A hero can be someone who makes a difference in someone's life and oftentimes we hear about teachers being called heroes. So if the term has been weakened like that, then yes, all soldiers who died in battle could be considered heroes. For me personally, I believe that only those who go above and beyond in their duties should have that esteemed label. 

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what army. Subjectively or maybe objectively speaking, some armies are not honored even by later generations in the home country and, of course, the enemy often doesn't appreciate sacrifices of the opponent.

Anyway, it is brave for a cop or soldier to risk dying, even if aside from that fact, they are evil from a person's POV.

Edited by Jason76

On 5/20/2023 at 8:32 PM, Mitchy71 said:

As a combat veteran who has lost some good friends in conflict. I can assure each and every one of you that they are heroes each and every one of them! End of story.

Part of our national anthem talks about not letting the efforts of our heroes past not be in vain. I see all soliders that have bought and always giving their all in the warfront as heroes. They have done their bits in ensuring that they represented the country well. So, why won't I see them as heroes? 

Yes of course, they are heros because they have served their country until death giving their lives. A lot of people can't even die for their families and loved one's. War heros are supposed to be valued so much.