Does gaming kill PC battery faster?

Playing games on PC is one of the most exciting things that one can do. There are gamers that like to play on PC instead of a gaming console. When it comes to playing on PC, do you think doing so often kills the PC battery? 

Oh, I would love to know the answer to this question! I would think just having the computer on would drain some life but I also know when applications are running in the background, the PC can run slower. So I would imagine it would drain the battery fast.

Anybody know for sure?

• 2 months later...
  • Management Team

Battery drain does not correlate with system requirements. The majority of older games are optimized to run at full speed even when the game is idle so even though they're very old they will still heat up a modern laptop. Often times, even just when navigating the entry menus. That seems true for most of my GOG library and seems universally true for emulated games (DOSbox, consoles). I'm not sure what the ioquake3 folk are doing differently, sure the game is almost twenty years old but that's obviously not the whole story since UT GOTY is quite a battery drain.

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 1 month later...

I rarely use my battery for my laptop because I always have the cord plugged into the outlet. It just makes it ready to go for whenever I travel, so there are no surprises. As for the OP's question, if you are running on battery, it will be drained playing games and probably faster. Plug it in if you can to save battery.

• 3 months later...

It can drain battery faster compared to other activities, like watching movies or working on most software. Gaming is a more resource-intensive activity, and it requires more power to run smoothly.
Many gaming PCs have more powerful components that require more power compared to regular ones. Hence this can lead to faster battery drain. 

Gaming typically consumes a significant amount of power, which can lead to faster battery drain on a PC. The intense graphics, processing, and constant use of resources require more energy, reducing the overall battery life compared to other tasks like web browsing or word processing.

AJ