Does gaming help your mental health?

So I've found some people find gaming relaxing when they're having mental health episodes but sometimes some people get worse while gaming if they've got bad mental health going on.

Does gaming relax you? What about if you're playing a game and you're losing lives?

• 1 month later...

Gaming certainly improves your mental health. The most evident one is relaxation. When you play games, you can ease your mental tensions. In my experience, gaming also helps in improved concentration, analytical thinking, and creativity. However, to get the benefit of gaming, you should play the right games in moderation.

I'm not going to say I have any mental health issues but I can say that playing video games helps me to calm down and relax. If that's playing a part in mental health, then, I'm covered. 

I feel happier when I play and win in some of my favorite games. There is that level of joy that comes with winning in those games. So, whenever that I feel sad, I have to play games to feel a lot better at the end of the day. 

• 5 weeks later...

I feel it can impact your mental health positively or negatively depending on what you're playing and the contents of the game. For the most part, it does keep your mind occupied and out of trouble by keeping you focused on something you enjoy. I also feel relaxed when I play some games, such as Pokemon GO.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:28 PM, Cory said:

I feel it can impact your mental health positively or negatively depending on what you're playing and the contents of the game. For the most part, it does keep your mind occupied and out of trouble by keeping you focused on something you enjoy. I also feel relaxed when I play some games, such as Pokemon GO.

I cannot agree more. Things like what you are playing and how long you are playing determine whether gaming can boost your mental health or not. If you are playing violent games for too long, it might have a negative impact on your brain health. If you are playing sandbox and strategy games, these games will certainly improve your mental health.

Playing video games no matter whether I am winning or losing definitely helps my mental health. I only play games for fun and not really on the competitive side but whenever I play video games, it helps me forget about things for a little while and be able to shut off what is bothering me at that time. 

I tend to get stressed and worry about a lot of things and shutting off helps prevent me from affecting my mental health by allowing it to go round and round in my head.