Steam or Epic

What features are Origin and UPlay missing? It’s not impossible to compete against Steam with just "a better product"? Go ahead and tell me what killer unique feature Bethesda could implement to get you to buy and launch games from them instead of Steam. Features don’t really seem to be a driver for users. Period. It’s a great talking point, but it’s just not true. Pricing maybe. Epic is selling some of their games for cheaper than on Steam and on consoles. Guess what? People don’t want to buy it on Epic even still. Exclusives are not the strategy. Exclusives are merely the temporary means to name recognition. How many (even hardcore, consistent) gamers know about the Twitch store? Discord store? itch.io? I guarantee the vast majority have heard of Epic Store and Epic Launcher. Epic will get there in terms of features, but they have to strike now while Fortnite is still a juggernaut. Why? Simple. because Steam exists.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:18 AM, will88chang said:

What features are Origin and UPlay missing? It’s not impossible to compete against Steam with just "a better product"? Go ahead and tell me what killer unique feature Bethesda could implement to get you to buy and launch games from them instead of Steam. Features don’t really seem to be a driver for users. Period. It’s a great talking point, but it’s just not true. Pricing maybe. Epic is selling some of their games for cheaper than on Steam and on consoles. Guess what? People don’t want to buy it on Epic even still. Exclusives are not the strategy. Exclusives are merely the temporary means to name recognition. How many (even hardcore, consistent) gamers know about the Twitch store? Discord store? itch.io? I guarantee the vast majority have heard of Epic Store and Epic Launcher. Epic will get there in terms of features, but they have to strike now while Fortnite is still a juggernaut. Why? Simple. because Steam exists.

So long as Epic has the money to buy exclusive rights and give game makers better reason to partner up with them, they will become the most popular out of all services. Money talks.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:42 PM, JoyFreak said:

Epics client is a lot heavier than Steam I believe. It's a lot bulky and I've had my account hacked a few times. Steam is good for security.

I know they are new, but hard to believe its been hacked or leading to accounts being hacked already.

15 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

I know they are new, but hard to believe its been hacked or leading to accounts being hacked already.

Yeah, i've had emails like the past few days and for as long as I remember, someone trying to reset my password lol. It's so strnage!

On 7/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, Demon_skeith said:

So long as Epic has the money to buy exclusive rights and give game makers better reason to partner up with them, they will become the most popular out of all services. Money talks.

They make so much money more then steam they will get what they want. That's what she said

• 1 month later...

Epic is really reaching but it knows it has an uphill battle to compete with Steam. Steam has simply been around too long and has too many customers who have bought into the system. I do use Epic as there are a few games which are not on Steam which feature on Epic. However, if a game I want is on both and its just a little bit more expensive on Steam I'll go with Steam. Had my account for 15 years and have hundreds of games. Epic would have to do something pretty spectacular to change that. 

• 1 month later...

Epic Games is a better launcher, in my opinion. The company offers a lot of discounted games and some even free of charge, like Grand Theft Auto Five a few months back. I prefer the user interface over steam, too. 

Untitled.jpg.84c10253d91a4492d3b4b6b8ff6ba468.jpg

• 4 months later...

I think EPIC games store has a lot of free options. And so I prefer the EPIC games for getting some free options. And I also make use of the steam store for the regular good games as well. I think another option is to make use of other stores like humblebundle for most games. 

I've been using Steam for so long... I've just stuck with it. I've tried the Origin launcher, but because that was just BAD I've not branched out and tried EPIC. I haven't seen any games unique to Epic that I WANT to play that aren't on Steam, so.... sticking with Steam. For now. 

• 1 month later...
  • Management Team

I don't mind when a publisher has an exclusive storefront for their own releases, such as Activision/Blizzard games on BattleNet and EA's stuff on Origin. Extra launchers are maybe a slight annoyance, but it's no big deal. Also I don't mind competing stores. More storefronts are more competition, which should be good for both devs and consumers.

However, Epic purchasing exclusivity deals is not healthy competition. They're effectively removing people's ability to vote with their wallets by simply negotiating with publishers instead. If a game was $45 on Epic and $60 on Steam (because of the different revenue split), then great, I'd buy from Epic. If a game is $60 or even $45 on Epic and doesn't exist anywhere else purely because Epic has a petty grudge against Steam, then they can fuck off. Epic talks about whats "good for the industry" but you can tell they would love to see Steam die so they can effectively secure a monopoly.

Bayside Gamers Feedback Survey

baysidegamersx468x60.gif
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow . Thank You!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use GeForce Now so it has to be Steam for me. I'm not sure they support the Epic Store. Plus, I only really play ETS and ATS so Steam is good enough for me

spacer.png

I use Steam, it's what I have been using for quite some time and it just works. Unless the game I want is not available in Steam then I would get on another platform like Epic to buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Steam obviously. It is much more featured than epic. 

Most of the time I go with DLC. So I don't have to think that much of internet connections. I just go to steam download my content and that's it. 😊